These American style pancakes are light and fluffy, but are also pretty healthy! The berries help towards your five-a-day and your kids will love helping make them
– 100g plain white flour & 100g wholemeal flour
– 1tsp golden syrup
– ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1tsp cream of tartar
– Large handful of blueberries
– Icing sugar
– 1 lemon zest
– 200mls whole milk
– 1 large egg
– Large knob of butter for cooking
- Mix the flour, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl with a fork, then pour in the syrup, lemon zest and half of the blueberries.
- Add the milk and egg into a measuring jug and whisk lightly. Pour most of the milk mixture into the bowl and mix together well with a spatula. Keep adding the milk until you get a smooth, thick, pouring batter.
- Heat the frying pan with a little bit of the butter on a medium heat – don’t let the pan get too hot.
- Spoon in a single tablespoon of batter at a time, in heaps. Turn them when you see bubbles forming on the top. Cook until just brown on both sides, then keep warm on a plate, covered with foil. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Add more fresh blueberries to the top of the pancakes, and serve with a dusting of icing sugar.